Thursday, May 3, 2012

The kid aces his geography test

Addendum to “10 states my sons should not live in”
After I posted my latest piece on this site, I asked Son the Younger (Zack) if he had read it and naturally he said no. So I told him the headline on the column and asked him what states he thought might be on the list of places I urged him and his brother to avoid.
“Well … Texas probably and maybe Arizona and South Carolina,” he started off without hesitation.
“That’s great!” I said. “You got three of the worst right off the bat. Which one do you think is the worst?”
“Probably Texas because it’s dumb and there’s nothing there. But … Arizona has that new law on immigrants which is pretty bad.”
“Terrific … A-plus,” I said. “I put Arizona first only because A comes before T. Who else?”
“Alabama? Maybe West Virginia and Kentucky. Louisiana?”
“Yes, yes, yes and on the watch list.”
“Well, they have New Orleans.”
“Precisely.”
“Maybe Mississippi, too’” he continued. “Pretty much all the southern states.”
“Pretty much,” I agreed “Fantastic job. I also included Alaska.”
“Well, yeah, it’s kinda like Texas and they pay people to live there.”
“Plus they elected Sarah Palin.”
“Oh, yeah. Pretty bad.”
The moral to this story? I dunno, maybe to pay attention to what you tell your kids because they may actually be paying attention.
I do know that after that brief chat I upgraded my own score as a responsible father and a couple of days later treated Zack to a steak dinner (Aussie style, not Texas).
-- Bob Gaydos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil.